4 Days On Request
This CATIA V5 Composite Design course is based on the Composite Design workbench functionality provided by the CPE & CPM products. The course will cover a complete end-to end process including: taking basic input data (required thicknesses, materials, stacking sequence rules) and using it to design the plies, preparing the design for manufacture and producing a plybook, or set of flattened ply profiles in DXF or IGES file format.
The design process is covered in two stages: a “Preliminary Design” stage in which the composite part is designed at a conceptual level by defining “Zones” of uniform laminate on the reference surface, and defining transitions where the thicknesses vary; and a “Detailed Design” stage where the preliminary design data is efficiently used to create a “Stacking” of individual plies.
You will also learn how to prepare the design for manufacture by analysing and modifying the plies, individually or in multiples, to design-out the potential manufacturing issues that can come from poor draping or incorrect ply stack ordering.
The Design & Manufacturing Prep (CPE & CPM) topics are covered together in this course over 4 days. However, DTE can offer training in Design only (CPE) over 3 days, and Manufacturing Prep only (CPM) over 2 days on request.
DTE can also offer training in the Composite Grid Design approach (CPG).
- Become familiar with the CATIA Composite Design workbench interface.
- Create a catalog of Composite materials.
- Define the composite parameters (materials, ply orientations, laminates).
- Define a zone based preliminary design.
- Define zone laminates in MS Excel and import into the Zone definition in CATIA.
- Create solids / top surfaces from zones.
- Define the ply stacking sequence in MS Excel and import into CATIA.
- Create plies from the zone definition (with pre-defined stacking sequence), or create individual plies manually without zones.
- Define and incorporate composite cores.
- Define the ply staggering in MS Excel and import into CATIA.
- Verify the design using the Core Sampling, Ply Exploder, 3D Sectioning, and Numerical Analysis tools.
- Analyse the plies with the Producibility Analysis tool (draping analysis).
- Modify plies based on producibility analysis results.
- Engineering / Manufacturing surface swapping.
- Add excess materials to plies for edge trimming.
- Ply flattening.
- Ply book generation and export of DXF/IGS files.
Students attending this course should have knowledge of Part Design, Assembly Design, Drafting, and Wireframe & Surface Design.
DTE is a certified PLM Education partner to Dassault Systèmes.
This course is scheduled by arrangement and can be arranged for one-on-one training, group session, on-site or on-premise.
Call 01993 883555 and speak to our training administrator, or send us your request below, for more details.
I recently attended a CATIA training course hosted by DTE. I found their instruction extremely thorough and helpful. DTE gave background information about the topics, as well as the content, which I found very useful for my understanding.
It was clear that DTE has great competency in this area, as well as having very good trainers, and as such I would have no issue with recommending them.
Alternative CATIA Training Course Dates
Our Sales and Technical staff are available to discuss any requirement regarding our business offering, training, rental systems and support, please contact us on +44 (0) 1993 883555 or through the contact form below.