A broad range of integrated solutions
Covering all aspects of:
- Product design and manufacture
- Driving enterprise competitiveness
- Task productivity
- Process improvement
CATIA V5 benefits
- Easy to use solutions tailored to needs of small, medium and large-sized enterprises and industrial corporations in all industries. More than 80,000 customers around the world have used CATIA to gain competitive advantages.
- Leading product development solution for all manufacturing organisations, from Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM), through their supply chains, to small independent producers.
- Range of capabilities allows application in a wide variety of industries:- aerospace, automotive, industrial machinery, electrical, electronics, shipbuilding, plant design, consumer goods, including design for such diverse products as jewelry and clothing.
CATIA V5 Express Core Configuration (CAT) Module is the foundation upon which further additional functionality can be included. A series of additional packages are available to enhance functionality in:
From concept to detailed design and onto drawing production, CATIA V5 mechanical design accelerates the core activities of product development. Its products also address sheet metal and mold manufacturing requirements through dedicated applications that dramatically enhance productivity and reduce time-to-market. The main highlights include:
- An advanced 3D product creation package – This package includes comprehensive part and assembly design features, as well as associative drawing extraction capabilities. Designers will also find all the two-dimensional (2D) drafting capabilities required for efficient drawing production.
- Productive and intuitive design of sheet metal parts – The feature-based approach offers a highly productive and intuitive design environment. It allows for concurrent engineering between the folded or unfolded representation of the part to deliver increased levels of productivity.
- Rapid, cost-effective creation of mold tools – CATIA V5 Mechanical Design products provide dedicated tools to address the plastic injection process. They also provide a fast splitting tool that takes a surface or solid part and separates it into a core and cavity with sliders and loose cores. These applications greatly enhance design productivity through advanced mold simulation features for the production of assembly drawings and the machining of mold assemblies.
- Simple and quick creation of all types of structures – This capability addresses preliminary and detailed design requirements for products such as heavy machinery and equipment, tooling jigs, shipbuilding foundations and manufacturing plant foundations.
- Specification-driven modelling, generative applications and controlled associativity – These features deliver highly productive and robust engineering change management. Engineering changes can be associatively propagated through the entire product definition and with related life-cycle processes. This dramatically reduces development time and costs, while eliminating any risk of human error or design inconsistency.
CATIA facilitates the following shape design processes:
CATIA is at the service of industrial designers and their creativity. Whether starting the 3D ideation from scratch or from 2D sketches, industrial designers can manipulate shapes with unrivalled freedom and take advantage of a true creativity accelerator to explore more ideas in the early conceptual phase.
CATIA fully addresses the Automotive Class-A process with a solution for surface refinement that integrates industry leading ICEM surfacing technologies. By combining the V6 technology strengths, which include knowledge capture-and-reuse paradigm, it delivers a powerful and intuitive suite of tools for modeling, analysing and visualizing aesthetic and ergonomic shapes for the highest Class-A surface quality.
Body in White & Mechanical Surface Design:
CATIA provides advanced technologies for mechanical surfacing, based on a powerful specification-driven modeling approach. This solution brings high-end quality surface modeling for detailed designers and promotes efficient concurrent engineering between styling and engineering worlds in order to optimize the product design workflow.
Spanning from preliminary to engineering detailed design and manufacturing preparation, CATIA provides unique capabilities for designers of composites structures to work in dedicated design in-context environments. Designers can integrate structural, assembly, and manufacturing requirements early in the composites design process and thereby anticipate and avoid problems.
Equipment & Systems
CATIA V5 Equipment and Systems Solutions provides a set of products allowing simultaneous design and integration of electrical, fluid and mechanical systems within a 3D digital mock-up while optimizing space allocation. It includes products for optimizing plant layouts, creation of circuit boards and design of structural products. These solutions enrich your product design in any industry. For examples, fuel/brake systems for aircraft and automotive, HVAC/piping for shipbuilding and chemical & petroleum industries, tooling structure for industrial machinery, circuit boards for consumer goods. See below for an overview.
A set of electrical products to address 2D and 3D requirements:
CATIA V5 Electrical products provide the tools needed to manage the electrical behavior of components and their integration into the 3D digital mock-up. A bi-directional interface between CATIA Version 5 and electrical CAD systems provides mechanical parts and assemblies with electrical behavior in order to define electrical devices and also manage the definition of electrical wires within the digital mock-up. A relationship can be set between 2D logical design and 3D digital mock-up to ensure consistency of both schematic and physical representation.
An advanced common platform for all CATIA V5 Diagramming applications:
A base for all diagramming applications such as CATIA Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams and CATIA HVAC Diagrams, this is the common platform for all 2D logical schematic tools. Integrated into the rest of the CATIA V5 platform, it allows the user to define relationships between the 2D logical design and 3D allocation.
Create, manage analyze and document Equipment and Systems:
CATIA V5 provides a complete set of tools to satisfy the life cycle requirements of manufacturing plant equipment designs, tubing, piping and HVAC design.
Manages and optimizes space allocation for equipment and systems:
Users can create and manage their systems pathways to ensure space reservations and allocations. Using these products customers can optimize their electrical systems routing layouts and have them automatically routed through the pathways following their functional definition.
High productivity in Ship design and systems integration:
The consistent and scalable nature of the CATIA V5 applications delivers unprecedented capability for large-scale projects. CATIA V5 supports shipbuilding with specific applications for key processes in the ship design life cycle, while many other CATIA V5 applications include features that support requirements specific to the industry. Specification-driven design ensures compliance with project standards; 2D logical design can drive the 3D definitions to prevent, for example, placing 3D equipment if it is not part of the 2D P&ID diagram.
From virtual product to virtual plant:
Plant layout combines the disciplines of civil engineering and manufacturing engineering in one seamless approach.
From aircraft fairing to train noses, boat hulls and wind blades, composites offer compelling opportunities to meet today’s increasingly cost-driven market requirements and environmental concerns. Ultra light, strong, highly resistant and durable, composites are ideal for producing lightweight structures with tremendous performance capabilities. Yet, designing and mass-producing complex production-ready composite parts is highly complex and expensive. Traditional solutions in the market today address composites design, analysis and manufacturing processes separately.
CATIA V5 Composites Design and Manufacturing covers the entire spectrum of composites product development, from design to analysis and manufacturing, on a single virtual platform. The solution is powered by CATIA for virtual product design. Developed in partnership with industry leaders, the solution is already in use at leading aircraft and helicopter manufacturers and suppliers, Formula 1 teams, yacht designers and builders, as well as wind energy, construction and consumer goods companies.
With the completeness of the CATIA product portfolio and the easy-to-use knowledge-based CATIA V5 architecture, CATIA V5 machining solutions exceed the capabilities of all existing machining applications. Some of the highlights include:
- High efficiency in part programming – Thanks to tight integration between tool path definition and computation, tool path verification and output creation the user can boost production quality by machining the right part, first time. Machining operations, supporting multiple passes and levels and automated rework in roughing and finishing ensure a high level of productivity.
- Effective change management – This solution set possesses a high level of associativity between product engineering and manufacturing processes and resources (PPR). Companies can therefore manage concurrent engineering and manufacturing flows better and reduce the design-to-manufacturing cycle time and then saving costs.
- High level of automation and standardisation – By integrating the pervasive knowledgeware capabilities of CATIA V5, machining products allow the capture of skills and reuse of proven manufacturing knowledge and avoids repetition. This also facilitates innovation through shortened test cycles.
- Optimised tool paths and reduced machining time – CATIA V5 machining products offer a wide set of flexible high-speed machining operations. This decreases the time needed to execute shop floor operations, such as concentric roughing, Z-level milling, spiral milling and 5-axis flank contouring.
- Easy to learn and easy-to-use solutions – As a result of an intuitive user interface, users are trained faster and then use the full breadth of CATIA V5.
- Reduced administration costs and skills efforts – CATIA V5 machining solutions can be used as a single system to cover a wide set of integrated applications, such as lathe to 5-axis milling. This allows companies to institute strong, manageable and long-term partnerships with their CATIA CAM supplier.
Nearly every component on the One-77 Cycle has been custom designed using CATIA. The design knowledge and expertise that we have gained during the evolution of this bike has been transferred onto other projects. We believe we have created something which is unique and sets the standard for future bike design.
MSC Apex is first and foremost a pre/post processor for Nastran but that doesn’t stop users of other solver technologies from taking advantage of the model preparation and meshing capability.
SOLIDWORKS and 3DEXPERIENCE® Works whitepapers, reference guides, datasheets, how-to videos and ebooks.
A selection of guides, videos and on-demand webinars are available to view or access below:
“We wouldn’t have got our first car to the grid without Desktop Engineering’s help.”
F1 Team Principal